Littleover Apiaries – Honey & Festive Spice Gingerbread Recipe
Finally, the 1st December is here and so the official countdown to Christmas can begin! Which means only one thing, it’s time to share with you our super simple, yet marvellously delicious Honey & Festive Spiced Gingerbread recipe. Here we use the spices of the season with our Orange Blossom speciality honey to create a gingerbread that stays moist yet firm. Perfect for a gingerbread house, tree decorations or just keeping the kids busy in the pre-Christmas build up!
Recipe makes about 40 biscuits.
What you will need:
– 250g Unsalted Butter
– 200g Dark Muscovado Sugar
– 600g Plain Flour
– 2 tsp Bicarobante of Soda
– 1/2 tsp Ground Nutmeg
– 2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
– 4 tsp Ground Ginger
– Decorating optional, we used white icing and silver balls
How to make:
– Pre-heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6 and line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper or butter.
– Mix the sieved plain flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg together in a large mixing bowl.
– Over a low heat on the hob, melt the unsalted butter, dark muscovado sugar and Littleover Apiaries Orange Blossom Honey together in a pan.
– Once melted together, slowly stir the butter and honey mixture into the flour mix until a putty-like dough is formed. If mix isn’t coming together, use a splash of water.
– Flour your work surface and rolling pin and roll out the dough until about 5mm thick. Use decorative cookie/biscuit cutters of preferred festive shapes. If you plan to make Christmas Tree decorations, remember to use a skewer to make a small hole in order to thread your ribbon/wool for hanging.
– Place cut-out shapes onto lined/greased baking sheet and bake in the oven for 12 minutes or until the biscuits are a light, golden brown.
– Leave to cool on the baking sheet for approx 5 mins to prevent breaking. Then transfer onto a cooling rack.
– Once cooled it’s time to get festively creative and decorate your gingerbread! When dry, biscuits are ready to hang on your Christmas tree or enjoy with a warm mug of milk, honey and nutmeg. YUM!
We’d love to hear how you get on with our recipes, so please share your stories with us on our Facebook page by CLICKING HERE.