Littleover Apiaries Organic Forest Honey Caramel Apples
Mornings are getting darker, leaves are littering the pavements and chunky knits are beginning to look appealing again. Autumn has well and truly arrived, and with it comes the spookiest of all treats – the Toffee Apple! Here at Littleover Apiaries we have put our own spin on this and have to share with you our recipe for Honey Carmel Apples. Using our dark, yet floral, Organic Forest Honey, our Honey Caramel Apples have all the tastes of the season in one easy recipe.
You will need:
– 6 Medium Apples, or 8 Small Apples
– 240g/12oz Littleover Apiaries Organic Forest Honey (click here to buy)
– 255g/9oz Organic Heavy Cream
– 16g/0.5oz Organic Butter
– 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
– Crushed mixed nuts (for rolling)
– x6 Lollipop Sticks, Drink Stirrers or Wooden Skewers
How to make:
1. Wash and dry apples. Pierce apples with Lollipop Sticks, Drink Stirrers or Wooden Skewers. Place in fridge.
2. Into a heavy bottom sauce pan place the Cream, Organic Forest Honey, Butter and Salt. Heat over a high temperate and constantly whisk until the caramel begins to bubble and rise. Reduce heat to a low temperate, making sure to whisk regularly so that it doesn’t burn or bubble over.
3. Cook the caramel for about 25 minutes or until its temperature reaches 260F.
4. Pour the caramel into a mixing bowl and then place the bowl into cold water (being careful not to get any of the water into the caramel). Stir the caramel until it starts to thicken and cool down.
5. When the caramel has cooled to a ‘warm’ state, remove from the cold water and dip the apples into the bowl (covering as much of the apple as possible).
6. Roll the caramel covered apples in the mix chopped nuts and then leave to cool on grease-proof baking paper.
7. Best enjoyed on the day they where made. Preferably with a glowing pumpkin lantern, a glow-in-the-dark skeleton and children giddy from Trick or Treating.