Littleover Apiary’s vanilla cup cakes topped with Lavender Honey Buttercream
Nothing compliments afternoon tea better than a spot of cake, so why not try something different with our vanilla cup cakes with Lavender Honey butter cream? Simple and straight-forward to make, they go perfectly with a cup of Lady Grey and good company.
To make 15 cup cakes, you’ll need:
113g unsalted butter
113g caster sugar
105g self-raising flour (sifted)
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 large free range organic eggs
1 teaspoon of good quality vanilla essence
2 tablespoons of semi-skimmed milk.
For the Littleover Apiary Lavender Honey buttercream:
55g unsalted butter
250g icing sugar (sifted)
1 tablespoon of Littleover Apiary Lavender Honey (click here to buy)
Violet gel food colouring
1. Pre-heat oven to 160 degrees C and place white bun cases into bun tray.
2. Combine in a separate bowl the flour, baking powder and cornflour. Then cream together the butter and sugar with an electric hand mixer until pale and smooth.
3. Alternate adding the eggs and the flour mix into the creamed mix, beating with the electric mix in-between. Finally add the vanilla extract and milk and beat again. Be careful not to over beat.
4. Spoon the mixture into the bun cases and bake in the oven for about 25 minutes until golden brown.
5. Whilst the cup-cakes are in the oven it’s time to make the Littleover Apiary Lavender Honey butter cream. In a large mixing bowl add half of the icing sugar to the butter and mix together with an electric whisk. Gradually add the remainder of the icing sugar until the mix is smooth and creamy.
6. Add small drops of violet gel food colouring and whisk until the buttercream turns a pastel lavender colour.
7. Once the desired colour is reached, stir in the tablespoon of Littleover Lavender honey.
8. When the cupcakes have cooked and cooled, it’s time to decorate with the Lavender honey buttercream. Load a small pallet knife with as much buttercream as possible and swirl onto the tops of the cupcakes. Sprinkle with edible flower petals for a special occasion.
9. Time to relax and enjoy with a well-earned cup of tea!